Sunday, March 3, 2013

YOOCNC T62-3AX CNC Controller for 3020T

Many people may want to add additional inputs and outputs to their 3020CNC, but not know how. In this post I will attempt to show others how one could possibly do this with their existing hardware. This eliminates costly (not that costly these days) replacement of the controller board (depending on what you want to do it may be worth upgrading your controller).

The YOOCNC T62-3AX is the controller board on my 3020T CNC. It has only XYZ axes (no A axis like other YOOCNC boards). There are no inputs being used from the factory other than the E-Stop. However, from my analysis of the PCB board we can add at 5 inputs and a single output channel to the existing board without much modification.

The board uses the EL 817 photo coupler as well as 74HC140 Hex Inverting Schmitt Triggers (for the outputs).

PCB Schematic/Routing:
 I tried to make this schematic/PCB design as close as possible to the original. It was drawn in FreePCB, and open source project. It's a great option to quick making quick circuits. Make sure to check it out as it functions very similar to PCB123. I might add more later to show additional options.

On the left you see the 5 photo-couplers that are unused with the exception of U25 which runs the E-Stop. Then on the right side you see U14, U24, & U10 which are an unused output. U4 is a photo-coupler which actually is not soldered to the board, so I would have to order one chip to make that functional. U14 & U10 are hex-inverting schmitt triggers that were mentioned above.

Some pictures of the board itself:
So that's on for now folks! I will follow up this post with the modifications of the circuit board to add my limit switches and possible spindle on/off control.

4 comments:

  1. hi can you finally wire the limits on this board???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been working on running new cables from my control box to the motors. The original cables have no shielding and are a very small wire gauge. As soon as those cables are done, I will start the limit switches. One small step at a time! Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola... I have been looking for some kind of wiring diagram (schematic) for the 3020T controller (blue box).

    I am interested in how you implement limit switches.

    Do you know of any 3020T groups working on Arduino based cnc controllers?

    Hope this comment puts me on a list to receive further comments.

    Have a great day.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be working on the limit switches in coming months. This page was just my initial reverse engineering and planning for adding switches. I may also add a power on/off for the spindle. I have to finish my new cables first though.

      No, I don't know of an Arduino based CNC controller. I'm sure they're out there, but there are already many great, affordable solutions out there depending on your requirements. Perhaps I will make a post collecting all of the information I have on other controllers. For now, I'm going to stick wit the one it came it.

      Delete