Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Alternator Installation on Tecumseh HMSK80 Engine

So I've purchased a used 7A coil and matching flywheel. The one part that I didn't discuss in my last post was the key missing component. In order to operate correctly the alternator, which generates A.C. power, need a rectifier to convert the A.C. to D.C. Then I can use an automotive style utility light which are easily obtained at local stores. Adding a battery allows me to run the light without the engine running, or when the engine is running at low RPMs.
Original flywheel is removed. This is required to install the alternator coils which are mounted underneath. The old flywheel makes a nice paper weight once it's off.
The new flywheel has 5 magnets to match the alternator coil below. I'm not knowledgeable on the effects of different numbers of magnets numbers of coils. They would most likely affect the power output and possibly frequency/amplitude of the output AC signal.
Below I've mounted the alternator to the engine.
Routing of the wires is critical as it cannot rub against the flywheel when running, nor can it crimp the fuel line. Try a few different routing options to find what's best for your setup.
Below are the two AC alternator output wires hooked up to the two channels of my scope.
Same thing, just overlaid.
Then I hooked it up to a full-bridge rectifier and we see the desired "DC" output is not clean at all.
I will be adding a capacitor as well as a regulating circuit to reduce the voltage to a stable 14.4V. I hope to use a switching setup rather than linear regulator. The regulator circuit will follow in my next post.

3 comments:

  1. Hi George,

    I am currently going through the same project than you and I already found the flywheel and the alternator coil. According to Tecumseh documentation the regulator / rectifier to be used with the 611097 alternator coil is the 611098 but it is quite expensive and hard to find. Did you already perform your own regulator / rectifier able to support 7A ? If yes may I kindly ask you send me your circuit schema ?

    Goal of this project is to install a light but also a linear actuator to change the chute tilt and an additional motor for the chute rotation.

    Thanks in advance,
    Arnaud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do have a functional regulator built, but I have not yet taken pictures, documented, and posted about it. I will probably be working on it more as the weather gets colder and I'm actually using the blower. I have already purchased the LED spot light from Northern Tool and tested it.

      Delete
  2. Hi - I see the one green wire coming out of your 7A coil has a terminal connector. Is this a ground wire and did you just ground it to the block somewhere?

    ReplyDelete