Tuesday, July 3, 2012

7x Lathe Bearing Upgrades

I will be drawing up various parts on my 7x10 lathe over the next few weeks. They are all parts which from the factory lack a bearing or sometimes even a bushing. My drawings with be in AutoCAD 2010, but I will try to post PDF's or JPG's for those who don't have AutoCAD. Note that you can download an AutoCAD viewer from autodesk's website I believe. I hope to be able to modify the existing parts on the lathe to accept bearings or create new parts that will fit without modification that have bearings.

This is not my original  idea exclusively. I was inspired by some of the following links:
http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/lathefix.htm - Bruce Simpson out of New Zealand upgraded the compound slide with a bearing. This is part #115.
I was also inspired by the may sites I found which detail upgrading the head stock to include tapered roller bearings as well as the counter shaft. Those links will be given when I post on this subject.

Some of these parts include:
#88 in Parts Diagram, the Cross Slide bracket.
 #115 - the Compound Slide retainer.
#48- the "A" gear shaft mount.
#140 - the tailstock retainer.
#131 - Right lead screw bracket (some machines lack the hole on top for lubrication)
 #127 - Left lead screw bracket (some machines lack the hole on top for lubrication)
And more to come...

1 comment:

  1. Good point on spinning the bearings after oiling them! I did that, but I forgot to mention that into the blog. I might make an edit.

    tilt pad bearings

    ReplyDelete